How Smart Are Your SMART Goals?
Goals are there to be achieved. They are useless if they remain forever as dreams. There are definite ways to turn your smart goals into realities. The first step is to write them down and engage in a goal setting brainstorming session. And second, execute your plans and monitor your accomplishments. A smart goals setting theory has been a guide of many. It uses principles that are truly effective when it comes to setting your goals.
Study the Smart Goal Acronym
The goals that you should develop must be smart enough to pass the test of the acronym “SMART”. The word smart means wise, astute, clever and other similar words. When we talk of goals, setting up smart goals means that your goals should be Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-bound. The first letters of these five words comprise “SMART”. This acronym “SMART” is a word device used for the purpose of easy recollection of the words it represents.
Below are the terms that form the word SMART for better understanding.
• SPECIFIC - this word means that the goal must be specified or properly identified. It should not be a general statement. The goal must be clearly stated. It should represent only a single meaning that is definitive. This first word must answer the following questions that start with “W”.
1. What is the subject of the goal?
2. Why accomplish it?
3. Who will do the job?
4. Where is it located?
5. Which attributes are vital?
• MEASURABLE – this second word emphasizes the monitoring gauges that should be put in place in order to measure the progress of the goal. If there are no criteria used, there’s no way to determine how effective the goal is. A goal that can be measured will fit the questions like” how much is the amount, how shall we know and how many”?
• ATTAINABLE - this third item put more points on being realistic and realizable. The goal should not be so extreme that it is impossible to attain. Although it is within reach, it should not be too low in standard as it has no meaning to have it. Goal that appears very important need positive attitudes like perseverance as well as skills and funds to achieve them. This term usually addresses the question how can you accomplish the goal?
• RELEVANT- the fourth word put emphasis on the essential of setting up goals that is appropriate. Is reducing production relevant to your goal of tripling your sales? Relevant goals are necessary to gain the support of all people involve in your goal setting. A goal that does not contradict other goals is considered a relevant goal. If the goal is relevant, it can answer the following questions.
1. Does it appear worthwhile?
2. Is the time ripe for it?
3. Does it meets the work or needs put forth?
4. Are the persons qualified?
• TIME-BOUND – the last term is putting premium on a time frame. Without a deadline, a person given a specific goal to accomplish will be at a loss when to finish the assignment. The setting up of a deadline in a goal to accomplish indicates the urgency of the goal. A time-bound goal is appropriate to address the questions of when, what will happen a month from now or a week from now or today.
Do You Have Smart Goals Objectives?
Every goal setting activity has its individual objective. Ask a successful business person who is willing to discuss with you the strategies he used to excel in his venture. He will tell you that he set up smart goal objectives and move timely to act on them. Planning is the technique on how you can move from where you are today to where to you wish to be in the coming days.
Many of us fail to harness our real positive character when it comes to goal setting. We missed our goals and objectives because we lack the desire to reach them. There is no excitement or motivation when we sat down to understand the real definition of smart goals. We came to the brainstorming table unprepared. We failed to plan in advance.
Smart goals templates Can Help You
If you want an improved achievement and success, SMART goals must always accompany your planning sessions. Smart goals templates are readily available on the internet as guide in order to help you in formulating your goals. They vary according to the goal setting you will have to undertake. There are some questions that are given as your guide that center on the five terms Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound.
Some templates are designed with a SMART Goal planning form conveniently enclosed in a box format with spaces provided for the answers to the several questions addressed to the five terms representing the acronym “SMART”. Depending on your goal setting needs, the goal setting templates can be revised. They can greatly help you in setting your goals.
Smart Goals Examples Can Hone Your Skills
As we know the meaning of the acronym “SMART” to mean Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound, we shall now attempt to use smart goals examples to elucidate what smart goals are. In reviewing some examples, your skills in goal making are better honed as you go over the goals of other people.
Sample goal: increase my sales on animal feeds business.
Smart goal: increase my sales by 25% on animal feeds business every month.
Sample goal: gain more customers by affiliating with a consumers group.
Smart goal: gain 3 customers every week by attending meetings of consumer group a week.
Sample goal: increase my sales by 25% on animal feeds business.
Smart goal: if there are available stocks in any given month of the target sales. If the stocks are lower, how can you achieve the sales target?
Sample goal : I will build a bigger warehouse for the feeds stocks inventory.
Smart goal: this is relevant to the objective of raising the sales by 25% monthly.
Sample goal: I will build a storehouse for my feeds business within 3 months.
Smart goal: It has a deadline; therefore it is time-bound and considered a smart goal.
Smart goals are really smart when done with preparations. Goal setting is perfect if good planning is part of the process.
If you would like to read more articles, simply head to our home page at Goal Setting Tips 101.